Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Weather

I look back upon my posts here and most of them are pretty positive. My running makes me feel good and it is reflected in my writing.

So now I am going to complain a little:

THE WEATHER SUCKS! It has sucked for two months. I am getting tired of it. I left New Hampshire in the middle of a snow storm and the weather has sucked since then. I had a strong headwind and rain showers the entire drive across the country. It drove my gas mileage down and was just unpleasant. Then I arrived at Moab (the desert) and it was rainy and windy for the three or so weeks I was there! When I left Moab and went to the Grand Canyon there was snow along the rims. Despite my best guess using the weather statistics there was crappy weather even at the Grand Canyon. Then I left and went to Buena Vista and the weather was snow showers for a full month (except for the day that it was super hot for the Collegiate Peaks 50). Now I am in Leadville and the weather has been full snow for all but several hours for the last week and the weather forecast is for (surprise, surprise!) snow for the entire extended forecast. THE WEATHER SUCKS!

I am tired of being cold and tired of fighting moisture. My clothes and sleeping bags are mildewing and I am starting to smell like a homeless person. Where the fuck do I have to go to find some good weather? Death Valley? I suspect that if I went there it would rain there as well.

I am no longer a fan of mother nature. In all of the places I have lived the one constant with the outdoors is that the weather will fuck me over every time I make plans. It doesn't matter if I live in the desert. It will rain there when I have made plans to run. In the mountains it will snow if I am going to run. If my plans include skiing and then it will rain or sleet or lightning storms will crop up. If I make plans to Kayak a huge drought will arrive and the streams and rivers will trickle.

If mother nature were to decide that human beings must go it would be nice if she made humans a quick dispatch. Stop this fannying about. Just send a meteorite already! Fuck your climate change!

No comments:

Post a Comment