Sunday, May 8, 2011

Collegiate Peaks Trail Run 50


The biggest question mark of this run was not whether I was physically conditioned enough finish. It was also not whether I was mentally conditioned enough. It remained to be seen whether the pain in my abscess tooth was going to be so intense that running without Ibuprophen or Vicodin would bring me to DNF. However, I was lucky and my oral pain was low early in the race and nonexistent for the last 2/3 of the race. This allowed me to do my best at running a fast 50, my primary goal for the Collegiate Peaks 50.

I had a fast start, feeling good all the way through the first 25 miles to the turnaround. I surprised myself by descending the Midland Bike Trail to the bridge fast by using the berms on the edge of the trail - one of my favorite parts of reconning/training on the course.

The return started off roughly. I had not hydrated well during the first half and it caught up to me on the climb up to 304 (the old railroad Midland Grade). My calves were starting to twinge with signs of imminent cramping. My left hip flexor felt pulled. It cast doubt upon my finish.

Taking the problem solving approach to ultrarunning. I started to drink and down electrolyte drink with high frequency. I had peed only twice in the first half and needed to pee more if I were to stay hydrated and in the race. I started walking to reduce the stress on my hip flexor. Both mitigation practices worked and my hip flexor never got worse and I stopped cramping up.

The course went well on the return. The numerous aid stations made it very easy to focus on completing the individual sections. On average a new aid station was coming up every hour. I was able to run the downhill’s very well and keep a fast uphill climb when needed.  There were several runners I kept leapfrogging with.

The heat was the most difficult of the challenges during the race. The temps rose to the low 70s which was only difficult because I was not acclimatized. I sweat a lot and consumed a lot of electrolytes and I was still feeling pretty nauseous during the last 6 miles. It could have been the heat, the hydration, or not eating enough. It is just more to think about for future runs.

It was really nice getting bunches of hugs from bunches of friends at the turnaround and the finish. It makes the race feel really good!

In the end I came through the finish line in 10:53. It is a new personal record for 50 miles. I am quite happy with the way I ran except that I am still pretty far down on the finishers list. Still back-of-the-pack. Ah well. On a future run with more ups and downs I will be closer to the start. All that really matters is that I am happy with my performance.

Here are the final results and the race report.

No comments:

Post a Comment