Thursday, May 5, 2011

Pre-Collegiate Peaks Trail Run

Here I am about to run the second ultra of the season- the Collegiate Peaks Trail Run 50. I have run every section of the race course, much of it twice. I have been feeling physically prepared and mentally prepared. So why am I not looking forward to this awe inspiring run? A toothache.

I have a root canal scheduled for Monday morning in Summit County. They couldn't fit me in before then for the root canal. So what they did was write me prescriptions for Vicodin and Penicillin and said good luck. They didn't even know what kind of a weekend I was going to have. I guess it will be the weekend of pain.

Now, two days before the run, I am figuring out my race nutrition. All the sugar in my Gu packets and Shotbloks- will it cause me to have a lot of pain during the run? Will I just have pain during the run regardless? Will there be no pain. Where I had been confident of a finish (maybe even a "fast" finish) now I am not even sure I will be finishing. At this point I am just going to relax. There is nothing I can do about it. I am just going to approach the run with the mentality of "at least I am starting. Maybe I will be able to finish. And MAYBE I will have all the fun that I normally have on a challenging 50 mile run."

No comments:

Post a Comment