Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Sherman Aid Station Captain at Hardrock

We'll I have been in Silverton for several days now and the Hardrock Buzz is starting to float around town. I arrived in time to join in the Fourth of July festivities in town including a great parade, watching the Durango and Silverton Fire Departments douse each other with water, and eating rhubarb pie at the field at the north end of town. Now that the zoo has somewhat left the folks who are running the Hardrock stand out like sore thumbs even more. It is amazing being amongst the runners and there are a few big names out and about. Dakota Jones just served me coffee at the Mobius Cafe where he is a Barrista. He is the favorite according to Karl Meltzer's odds. Karl himself will be here and he put himself third on his list.

So now it is two days to the start of the race and when it all comes together for the Sherman Aid Station. There are some things that need to be taken care of still but they will work themselves out (I hope).

Things have been more expensive than I thought here. Being a dirtbag in Silverton is just not possible. I spent 20 bucks on dinner last night. For some weird reason I didn't bother to load up on food before coming to town. I also didn't bother to research the Outward Bound situation here. There is one small trailer and nowhere to park. This means I might as well not spend time there but to see Jon and Julia. Unfortunately, they are busy. If I do this again next year I will want to have more money saved aside and just go with it. I should also check out some campsites out of town.

The last few nights I spent parking on the streets of Silverton. But I feel it is only a matter of time until the police come knocking on my window. I can't pull out my stove to cook foods so I have been living off of Wheat Thins and restaurant food. I don't know if I will be able to stay here after the race. It is just too expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment