Saturday, January 1, 2011

Weekly Run Log - Dec. 26, 2010 - January 01, 2011


12/26/2010: Crotched Mt. Town Forest. Link, Summit West, Lower Link to Shannon's and retraced. Overcast. Getting one last run while the snow is only a couple of inches deep. Before the "Big" storm. 1:01, 4.8 miles, 800' vert.

01/01/2011: The longest run I have run in a while. Summit Trail to Lower Link to Shannon's to the Summit and retraced. Made more difficult by the wet, ankle deep or greater snow. The snow was stomped down a little on The Link, Scot's Trail, and Shannon's Trail but not elsewhere. The running was surprisingly good though I had to slow to a walk pace a couple of time on the uphill. I don't know if that was from the extra exertion of the deep snow, the fact that I am running only two times a week for cardio, or that I was dehydrated from New Year's Eve. Either way it was nice to be out again and be able to extend the run until I hit the top. My right foot had some issues with the snow. I think I just need to strengthen the feet for running on the weirdness of snow.

I purchased a pair of Katoola Microspikes and was disappointed that the toes on the microspikes kept coming off the toes of my shoes. I think that they are not tight enough. I will go back and exchange them for smaller sized Microspikes tomorrow morning. 1:40, 6.8 miles, 1300' vert.

Weekly Summary: 11.6 miles, 2,100' vert.

Alright mileage. At least I got out and maintained enthusiasm for running. It was a big week for natural snow. We got a foot of good old New England high density powder in the woods and mountains around here. This created the next stage of challenge in my quest to run through the winter. Now I need to think about which trails are snowshoed the most frequently around here, which trails I will need to snowshoe myself to pack and which trails I will need to avoid. Also, I am looking at which dirt roads around here have the most vertical gain and length so that I can run around snow storms. It is a somewhat pivotal moment in my winter running. I am going to look at running snowshoes tomorrow. At least I am enjoying the new challenge of finding ways to run in snow.

The "screws in the shoes" experiment continues. I lose 4 to five screws each time out so I am thinking of epoxying them in there. Next time I am at home depot I will look at the epoxies they have.



No comments:

Post a Comment