Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Personality for Ultrarunning


“Suffering leads to endurance. Endurance leads to character development. Character development leads to hope.”

When I mention my long distance running exploits to other people the reactions I get are usually some form of incredulity. "I can't even imagine running a marathon not to mention four consecutive marathons!" "I heard that running is bad for you." "I can't even run five miles!" "Do you listen to music or something? It must be so boring running that long." For years I have felt misunderstood in a similar way over many of my activities or accomplishments. Folks just don't understand why I chose the field of Adventure Education or why I climb, backcountry ski, drive long distances with no music, throw myself at projects for months on end, etc. I have always wondered why there are so few who can’t even imagine what it would take to run 50 or 100 miles but I think in my reflections I am starting to understand. Lately, I have come to realize that there is a certain personality that is perfect for ultrarunning and that I naturally have this personality.

I learned several years ago that people believe I am intense. Yes I am. This intensity manifests itself in many ways: focus, attention to detail, and motivation are some of my best qualities that come with intensity. Of course, obsession, high expectations, and stubbornness are some of my biggest weaknesses. Ultrarunning allows me to use my best qualities to my advantage.

I get lots of questions on how I stay motivated to train. That answer is easy. I love to run. The views around Leadville are amazing, the runner's high is so great, and the exploration though running is exciting. As I run I truly forget about the pain and get lost in my own thoughts. Before I know it I have climbed 2000 vertical feet or run 6 miles. I admit that at point sooner or later the pain becomes too intense to ignore, but at that point the focus kicks in. I imagine a finish line of an ultramarathon and focus on it. This gets me through some tough times.

I have also come to realize that bad days running are good for training. "The more I suffer now the less I suffer later" I always say. With running the suffering is never that long anyway. The hills end quickly or my body adjusts to the pace. Truly seeing the positives in a tough run is one of the ways in which I stay motivated. Not many can do this.

At long distance running races there is a cool statistic. Most of the runners are in their late 30s to late 50s. There are a few 20-somethings out there tearing it up but many of the top finishers in any given race are older than 40. They say that ultrarunning events take experience to be successful (however one defines it). It is because the experience allows a person to work on their systems of nutrition, equipment, crewing, pacing, training, etc. In other words experience helps iron out the details. Personally, I have a good ability to plan the details of any given run. This has allowed me to be successful (just by completing two of three races) at a young age. I have used my very little experience wisely and have gleaned a lot of lessons from just three races!

I spent several years trying to change my intensity before realizing that it is just a part of who I am. I now know that I just need to find ways of living who I am. Ultrarunning takes my intensity and uses it to accomplish something. My discovery of running long distances is part of a never-ending process of finding ways of fitting my personality into the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment