Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Weekly Run Log - Mar. 27-Apr. 02, 2011








03/28/2011: Ran Poison Spider Mesa Loop. This was more of what I was hoping when I wanted to trail run in Moab! The road was packed sand and, toward the end, slickrock with some deeper beach sand in several places. There was more beach sand than the slickrock trail across the river. It offered fantastic running up on the mesa, running up and down he rolling domes. As for my body it felt pretty good in the joints and better on the hydration though my arm cramped up at one point when I was reaching for something in my bag. This was my first run of the year in shorts and I guess my thighs now rub enough so there is chafing. I will have to take care of that until my thighs are no longer rubbing. I hope I thin up soon. 3:07, 14.5 miles, 1,200' vert (according to my watch altimeter).


03/30/2011: I am back in the Behind the Rocks area for another day. I started out with the intention of running a loop with an out and back spur but ended up missing an intersection. Therefore I ended up running a three spur "pinwheel" which was actually pretty scenic. Not as much sand as the loop I ran the other way, there was some slickrock and short technical sections the further out I got. A fun run and a little pain in my right ankle. Don't know what that is but I am not payin much attention to it (it will be gone by tomorrow I hope). I have just about matched last week's mileage and it is only Wednesday! 1:36, 7.0 miles, 550' vert.

03/31/2011: Learned some lessons running Negro Bill Canyon today. The trail is designated for hikers only and is short and therefore it is very busy mid-day. Lesson #1: these short trails are too busy to run on. One feels like an Indy Car in a residential neighborhood. The car is designed to do 200+ mph and yet it is held to a 30 mph speed limit. Lesson #2: it can be much hotter here from day to day and I would imagine it is the same in the Grand Canyon. In some ways I am glad that I am spending time here in Moab's desert before driving 6 hours south to run the Grand Canyon. I am learning lot's of extremely applicable information that will hopefully help my run be successful in two weeks or so. 1:00, 4.0 miles, 330' vert.

04/02/2011: From camp at Bride (Gemini Bridges Rd.) ran to split in the road where Gold Bar-Spike Poison is left and Gemini Bridges is right. Ran inner loop by taking a left and then taking each right. Missed Gemini Bridges but that would be a good loop to do later when 10 or so miles is possible for a short run. 1:37, 7.0 miles, 500' vert.

Weekly Summary: 32.5 miles, 2,580' vert.

A very good week of runnning. If my joints and muscles feel this good after next week I am off to the Grand Canyon! I got some fivefingers runs in as well but they were short and I didn't measure them so I didn't include them. I will keep going progressively further though.

No comments:

Post a Comment