Friday, April 1, 2011

The Shredmobile

This is the beginning of my work-in-progress. My Truck. My bed, transport, kitchen, food storage area, gear locker, and bureau all wrapped into one. After seeing the portability of my friends' vehicles turned into miniature RVs I felt I needed to have a similar system in order to maximize my ability to move and live in the mountains.

The Truck: 2008 Toyota Tacoma with a 4 cylinder, 2.5 liter engine. 4WD high and low, standard transmission.

The Cap: A.R.E. V-series with added Yakima Tracks for the rack. Sliding windows on either side and lockable rear window.

The Rack: Yakima Control Towers attached to the Tracks with the Landing Pad 1 kit. My old Thule Box that I had on my Corolla attached well to the Yakima round bars.

The Bed/Storage System:

 The sleeper's left side flips up to access storage space below.

The sleeper's right side is a free floating panel that can be pulled up to store a bike (so it can be locked up). Right now it is heavy and awkward to place and replace so I am brainstorming ideas of making it less cumbersome to access gear below it.

The whole enchilada.

I spent a whole week designing and building this and still wanted more time to work on it. Right now it is heavy but it is quite sound structurally. I would like to add partitions to make clothes access and storage easier as well as book storage. I have a lot of wasted space right now that I need for other items. My work in progress.



2 comments:

  1. Levi,
    I just visited your blog for the first time, while surfing ultrarunning sites. It's an unusual intro to a runner's site--the first few photos being your car. Then I scanned through and got the sense that I'd blundered into the middle of something very big. What is this adventure of yours? I'll go back and look at your archive. Meanwhile, I sense that you and your followers might have an interest in an idea I am exploring on my website www.willhumansendure.com.

    Ed Ayres
    http://enduranceandsustainability.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ed!

    My truck is one more thing that supports me in my adventures wherever they are. I have put a great amount of intention into its capabilities and design and just wanted to share what I have done with friends and whoever is interested.

    The adventure of the moment is a trail running road trip that really doesn't end until October. In the middle of this road trip I have work to attend in CO but otherwise much of my time will be dedicated to researching trail runs and then running them, running in a few races and hopefully crewing for friends in their own races.

    Thanks for the link! I will check it out.

    ReplyDelete