Sunday, April 10, 2011

Weekly Run Log - Apr. 03-09, 2011


Mount Tukuhnikivatz


Lots of mud

04/04/2011: I took a chance and decided to use the gas in my truck to recon and maybe find a suitable long run that would be tougher than the 4WD road that I had planned (Onion Creek Road, 19.2 miles, 1,500' vert). I lucked out and found that there was snow starting at about 7,000' in the La Sals but it was runnable beyond 8,000'. So I ended up running a big loop using the La Sal Pass road starting at Pack Creek Picnic Area, going all the way to the junction with Squaw Springs Trail, then backtracking to the cutoff to Dorry Canyon until the snow got too deep then backtracked to FS 690 and down to the La Sal Loop Rd. And back to the picnic area up Pack Creek. It was a better run despite the majority being extremely slippery mud and sticky snow up to ankle deep. Got up to 8,700' and felt pretty good! The views of Spanish Valley, Moab, Behind the Rocks, Canyonlands, and several mountain chains to the west and north in addition to the Abajos to the southwest. Snow still covered those mountains too. I've got to figure them out. It was nice to be on a long climb again. I've missed being on climbs so long that you zone out and find yourself really high all of a sudden. It was also cool being in the shadow of Tukuhnikivatz the highest of the La Sals. What a cool introduction to a range I have dreamed about skiing and running for some time. Next time it would be nice to come back and run all 6,000' ft. Of elevation gain to the top! I think I am ready for the "big hole." 4:31, 19.5 miles, 3,700' vert.

04/07/2011: Moab Rim Trail to the overlook and back. I got impatient this morning and took off without the map. Didn't need it but ended up being surprised with how much vert there really was on this run. Was also surprised with how scenic it was. Had a little of everything: slickrock, flat double track, domes, ramps, typical Moab mesa flora. 2:09, 8.2 miles, 1,800' vert.

04/09/2011: Ran the inner loop from Lone Rock in Behind the rocks. A nice short one for my taper. Still stymied by my heel. Feels lime it is the Achilles Tendon or maybe a bruised heel bone (cancaneus). Either way I am upset by it because it doesn't hurt much, doesn't get worse or better while I run. It just feels weird. Ah well. 0:56, 4.1 miles, 300' vert.

Weekly Summary: 31.8 miles, 5,800' vert.

Finally found some vert this week, though it involved a lot of mud running. My right heel is the reason I only got three runs in. I am not sure what it is but I am sure that I am traveling to the Grand Canyon. I find that before each ultra I run, I have weird aches and pains that I cannot explain. Hey tend to hurt at the start of the ultra and then I never feel it again. Hopefully that is what I am experiencing now.

No comments:

Post a Comment