Sunday, August 28, 2011

Weekly Run Log - August 21-27, 2011


 Elbert in the background.

 Surprised by such a developed Interlaken Historical Area.

Elbert above the sagebrush.

08/23/2011: Ran the Interlaken Trail on the South side of Twin Lakes Reservoir. The run was rolling singletrack through lodgepole with many views of Elbert (looking west) and the Mosquitoes (looking east). The trail travels through Historic Interlaken, several old houses restored and kept for tourists. As far as I can tell the only ways to get there are by boat and by trail (hiking, biking, trail running, etc.). It was a pleasant surprise as I wasn't prepared for a small village in the middle of my run through the "wilderness." The mileage is not right in the Trail Runner's Guide to Colorado: I left from a day use area at one of the gates to the east of the dam on CR25. I wasn't going to pay $5 to park at the fishing place. Even starting in a different place I calculated the mileage to be 13.2 miles, longer than in the book. 2:42, 13.2 miles, 1,000' vert.

Mosquito Peak from the "bump above the pass"

08/25/2011: I extended the Mosquito Pass out-n-back to include the peak immediately to the north with the communications building. The road ran around back and probably added another 1.5 miles to the 6.5 for just the Pass. I definitely have tendinitis. Something to think about for next year though it is probably too late to do anything about it until the Bear. 2:16, 8.0 miles, 2,300' vert.

08/27/2011: Decided to run a short one today instead of a long run. I want to see if I can rehab my knee a little before the Bear. My last goal before the race is to get in one last long run without destroying my knee. If I can do that I might resign myself to power hiking the sections of the Bear when I get there (departure date of Sept. 7th as of right now).

The run today was Turquoise Lake Trail to Tabor Boat Ramp and back. I had planned on running it slow but when. I got to he boat ramp I was in the same time as my fastest run. On the return I passed an old guy on a mountain bike and ended up putting on the speed to beat him back. Finished the fastest time ever for this run and still felt good! 0:39, 4.2 miles, 50' vert.

Weekly Summary: 25.4 miles, 3,350' vert.

No comments:

Post a Comment