Sunday, June 19, 2011

Weekly Run Log - June 12-18, 2011


The trail contours the lake just above the "beach"

06/12/2011: Ran from the dam at Turquoise Lake around the trail to just a little past the second boat launch. The trail is open and fun with my new Montrail Rogue Racers. They feel so light and fast! This is a great trail to make some miles while the snow melts a little more up high. The running is less strenuous so hopefully my right leg will heal and be stronger. 0:45, 5.0 miles, 100' vert.

06/13/2011: Ran half (or so) of Turquoise lake singletrack with Brenden and Tyler. 1:11, 8.0 miles, 200' vert.

06/14/2011: Ran to the second boat launch and back with Jake. It was a fun, low intensity run. Jake is starting the fun journey of training for a 18 minute 3 mile run! Should be doable. 0:45, 4.0 miles, 50' vert.

06/18/2011: Ran the North Crestone Trail to the Loop Trail (Comanche on the topos) up to the unnamed pass on the spine of the Sangres. It was an amazing run that I hadn't planned on making the top until I got to the OB camp site called "Hell" (stayed there for three nights on a course in 2010 and the mosquitos were TERRIBLE). When I ran straight through Hell (you can call me Dante) I realized how close I was to the ridge and the views down the east side. I felt I had to go for it despite having no food and electrolyte mix. I figured on being trashed when I got back. I was. 

The views are amazing on this run. I am stoked to finally have some positive association with the Sangres. These mountains aren't so bad when I can outrun the flies and mosquitos. One of the coolest parts (literally) was that I started without my t-shirt on and needed to put on the shirt by 11,000'. By 12,000' I had my wind shirt on and was pretty cold when I got to the top of the run at 1 hour and 58 minutes from the trailhead. I was cold enough that I just took a quick look around and then started the descent. I was either mildly hypoxic, hypothermic, or I had a "runner's high" but I felt like I was floating down the mountain. My footfalls never missed though so I don't think it was hypothermia. But man, was it pleasant! Wish I had brought a camera, glad I brought the Rogue Racers! 3:32, 12.1 miles, 4,100' climb!


Weekly Summary: 29.1 miles, 4,450' vert.

No comments:

Post a Comment