Friday, December 23, 2011

Time

It was only an hour and 24 minutes and yet I felt as though it was an entire day. I became aware of one more thing that I love about trail running while going for a jog up Monadnock yesterday. With the exception of my long runs in preparation for 100 mile events each run that I embark on is an adventure that takes little time and satisfies as though I had planned to be out for an entire day. Yesterday’s run lasted one hour 24 minutes involved stepping into the unknown and seeing a place that I thought I knew in a new light.

In the last few years my definition of wilderness has changed dramatically. In several hours time I can get in to the mountains deep enough so that I am encountering backpackers who have been out for days. That is something that is pretty special to me. These folks have dedicated several days of time, even a week and I am able to sleep in my bed every night and compress several “trips of a lifetime” into one week of running. Pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment