Sunday, October 30, 2011

Snow and the State of Unhealthy

We got our first significant snow in New Hampshire this weekend. This storm was considered a "freak" storm by many, including myself. I can't remember a Halloween in my life where there was snow on the ground but the 15-18 inches of snow that fell here was unprecedented in my 30 years. Last week I was in shorts and this week I was wading through knee-high snow to shovel out the cars. I was able to get some backyard turns in last night when the snow was "only" boot deep. Ha!


I have enjoyed the month of October here in New Hampshire. I have run a handful of times and have been able to keep my mileage down to 3 miles or less on each sojourn. The runs have been less than scenic but I was able to get up above one layer of clouds on a run up North Pack Monadnock (2,279') the other day. This is not typically done on the East Coast at all and especially not in southern New Hampshire.


My body has been feeling good. For the most part my joints have healed but my cardiovascular system has taken a hit. My heart rate skyrockets when I run and takes some time to lower to a more normal rhythm. I did need a break from training and I feel like I can settle into a base mileage phase for my winter running.

One more note: It appears I will be working the 3 pm to 11 pm shift this winter. I expect to be on a more normal sleep schedule this year and should be able to have a more normal training schedule.

1 comment:

  1. The joke was on me: I am working the 11pm to 7am shift again.

    ReplyDelete