Saturday, September 10, 2011

Weekly Run Log - Sept. 04-10, 2011

09/06/2011: Ran Prospect Mountain from the Diamond Mine up CR3 as an out and back. Cut off from the Mosquito Pass road high and ran the rollers up the the summit. A good, low intensity run. 1:43, 7.0 miles, 1,300' vert.

09/07/2011: Turquoise Lake Trail, out 0:33 and back. Slow day for me. 1:06, 6.0 miles, 50' vert.

09/09/2011: Got my first impression of the race course today in running from the Temple Fork Aid Station to the Tony Grove Aid Station (or where they will be) and back again. I had a little confusion in the Tony Grove Campground but finally pulled out the course description and nailed down where the course goes.

 Looking up Blind Hollow.

Entering the Aspen. A more Colorado feel.


For the most part the trail is graded for horse packing. It was obvious that the trail is still used for horse packing. The surrounding land is also free range for cattle I had to shoo a group of 7 or 8 cattle from the trail on the way up but on the return they had moved to the side so I could go around them (mooooove over!).



I had another snake encounter on the trail (jumped many feet over it). It was a Rubber Boa (Charina Bottae) about a foot and a half long. Quite harmless but I thought it was a giant worm until I poked it with a stick and got close enough to notice that there were scales on it. Then I noticed the eyes. This brings my summer trail running herpetology tour to the viewing of 1 Grand Canyon Rattlesnake, 1 Milk Snake, and 1 Rubber Boa!

I drank from a stream in the middle of cattle grazing land and I shouldn't have. I hope I don't get sick before the race. 3:28, 12.7 miles, 3,000' vert.

Weekly Summary: 25.7 miles, 4,350' vert.

No comments:

Post a Comment